Monday, August 1, 2011

Rhomobile Book

Finally My Book on Rhomobile has been publish with pactpub.

Now Its time to say Thanks.


I would like to express my gratitude to my family and friends especially Akshat Paul, Manu Singhal, and Anuj Bhargava who saw me through this book, who provided support, talked things over, read, wrote, offered comments, without which conceiving this book wouldn't have been possible.

Also, I would like to thank Sarah, Neha, Kartikey, Shubhanjan, and the PacktPub team who allowed me to quote their remarks and assisted in the editing, proofreading, and design. Writing a book was not my cup of tea but they made this complicated journey effortless.


Also I want to say big thanks to Reviewers:
Brian Moore :
Brian Moore is a Senior Engineer at Rhomobile, father of two, and quintessential hacker.
Brian began coding at the age of 12. His early love for everything technological led to a job with Apple shortly after high school. Since that time Brian has worked at a series of start-ups and tech companies taking on interesting technical challenges. Brian has become the
technical face of Rhomobile as he leads the Rhodes community in the latest Rhomobile innovation during the Friday webinars. When not guiding the next generation of Rhodes developers or hacking on a new debugger, Brian can be found climbing a hill in a remote Southern California desert in his baja bug.


Deepak Vora is a consultant and a principal member of the NuBean.com Software Company. Deepak is a Sun Certified Java Programmer and Web Component Developer, and has worked in the fields of XML and Java programming and J2EE for over five years. Deepak is the co-author of the Apress book Pro XML Development with Java Technology and was the technical reviewer for the O'Reilly book WebLogic: The Definitive Guide. Deepak was also the technical reviewer for the Course Technology PTR book Ruby Programming for the Absolute Beginner, and the technical editor for the Manning Publications book Prototype and Scriptaculous in Action. Deepak is also the author of the Packt Publishing book JDBC 4.0 and Oracle JDeveloper for J2EE Development, Processing XML documents with Oracle JDeveloper 11g, and EJB 3.0 Database Persistence with Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g.

Other contributors:


Acquisition Editor
  • Sarah Cullington
Development Editor
  • Neha Mallik
Technical Editors
  • Ajay Shanker
  • Mohd. Sahil
Project Coordinator
  • Shubhanjan Chatterjee
Proofreader
  • Linda Morris
Indexer
  • Geetanjali Sawant
Graphics
  • Melwyn D'Sa
Production Coordinator
  • Melwyn D'sa
  • Cover Work
  • Melwyn D'sa


This is the link to buy the book :Rhomobile Book





7 comments:

  1. I love book. I know you just published the book, but are you going to continue to update the examples as Rhodes advances?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! Yes current example in book are with Jqtouch and basic. The Rhomobile Beginner's Guide is for those you are totally new to Rhomobile and the publisher has insist me to write Rhodes example which will simple to understand and cover all the concepts.
    I am planing to write few complex example like Facebook Oauth integration with Rhodes\Using Ajax with Rhodes etc in future on my blog. If you want any specific topic example you can suggest me on this blog, I will try to blog these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abhishek, In the Rhom chapter. When I put the @companies = Company.find(:all). When I click New to add the new employees I am getting undefined screen. Also you haven't told it clear about where we have to put the code in new.erb and edit.erb with your code. in page 70. Please look into it.

    Thanks,

    Uday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the earlier reply. I have a question regarding some code on pg 109. In the employee_controller.rb search method you have the following line of code: @response['headers']['Wait-Page'] = 'true'
    Well with that code my application fails to render the search.erb view. With that line of code commented out, my application continues normally. What is the purpose of that line?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are getting undefined screen because I think you are using latest Rhodes with Jquery Mobile but in the book example I have used Jqtouch. So You can change the div tags according to Jquery Mobile. The logic is same but only the difference is there in divs
    If you are directly using the code which you got with my book then it will definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @greeneggs614 @response['headers']['Wait-Page'] = 'true' enable an animated transition. The response header tells the user interface that an AsyncHttp request has been spawned and that the rendered view should be treated as a transient page, it will not be added to the navigation history.
    You can also refer http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/connect-to-web-services#asynchttp-and-animated-transitions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the response. Very cool of you to follow up. I've been meaning to follow up with you on this but the holidays got the best of me. Anyhow, I understand what you wrote and I understand the docs, but the odd thing is that the application only continues when I comment out that line of code. Yes, I did include ApplicationHelper at the top of the Controller. Even the part where "it will not be added to navigation history" works WITHOUT that line of code. Don't know what to think of this one. I am using rhodes 3.2.3 did something change in the later versions.

    ReplyDelete